Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
MK808 questions and open discussion
October 16, 2012
8:23 pm
jesjhoward
Forum Posts: 47

Hi guys,

Brand new on the forums and I'd like to open with some questions about the MK808 that I just purchased today. Hopefully you guys with access to the unit will be able to help. Firstly, I'm decently adept when it comes to technology as I've been a self taught troubleshooter since 1996-ish. I've owned three android devices so far, all of them rooted with some sort of ROM installed, so I know my way around that sort of thing (not an expert). Secondly, I already own the Logitech Revue with Google TV and have side-loaded several apps on to it, but without much luck. I love my Revue for what it can do... it's just that it really can't do much. The Revue really shines when you have some sort of able service, which I don't. Onlive would have been great, but alas, the Co-Star got all of that love. So really it's just a glorified Netflix/Plex/Youtube box... unacceptable.

What I would really love is a device that can run just about anything my phone can, which would unify my media and gaming all in my living room and on to my flat screen television. These little devices seem like the ticket. And while I've already given in to my insane urges to just buy the damned thing, I'd still like to pose these questions:

1. Has anyone used the "iPazzPort 2.4GHz Mini Wireless Fly Air Mouse Keyboard with IR Remote" with this mini PC? (hope so, just bought this)
http://goo.gl/sIHa8

2. Has anyone tried a wireless Xbox 360 controller USB dongle with it? Does it work well?

3. If so, does it work with Onlive? Local emulators/games? Splashtop/Kainy to stream desktop games to your television using this controller?

I know, so far, that a USB hub will work with these, which is awesome, but what other devices work with this PC? USB ethernet? USB digital tuner? Anything like this? Also, has anyone been able to root yet? I'd love a copy of Cyanogenmod eventually. If anything, I'd love to get a bluetooth controller working if the 360 controller is a no-go.

Things I'll be working on until the thing gets here:

I'm going to try and extract/find some of the Google TV apps and install them on my phone (Epic 4G Touch) to see if they will function properly. The Netflix app isn't much of an issue, but the Plex app would be awesome... at least until a stable port of XBMC shows up. (can't wait for this!) I'll try to find a solution to the many many emulators out there and set up a unified gaming platform. I know folders will work, but I would love some kind of menu to get to everything, but this is probably futile. Also, I've been trying to emulate the home bar on Google TV. This is a shortcut bar that will appear across the bottom of the screen, no matter what app you have open at the time, that will give you access to any of your favorite app, as well as the app drawer. I believe I may have found the solution to this using an app called "Power Strip" (http://goo.gl/Cn04e). I'll let you know tomorrow when I've messed with it long enough.

Anyone have any other ideas on how to make this an awesome unified android media/game player? Let me know!

Lastly, on a side note:

I've been using Astro File Manager on my phone for quite some time, and now it gives the option to link Dropbox, Google Drive, and FTP servers right into the app. This is awesome for sideloading apps! Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the FTP option to work. I have filezilla server running on my PC and have setup my account to the point to where I can connect to the server from the Filezilla client (inside and outside of my network) as well as the android FTP client call ANDFTP (http://goo.gl/mJ1XU). The Astro app keeps asking for my password over and over again, and I know that I've typed it in correctly. This happen to anyone else? Let me know if anyone can help and I'll create an account for you to test.

Thanks a lot guys for reading all of this mess and answering anything that you can. I'll be around and looking for your replies. =]

Jes

October 18, 2012
6:42 pm
jesjhoward

Anybody home? Well, anyway,

UPDATE:

I've been able to backup and sideload some apps from my Logitech Revue and install them on my phone. The screen real estate is an issue, but I'm sure that once I get my MK808 in the mail, it should display the apps just fine. I'll keep you guys posted and post some of the apps once I can verify that they work.

Also, I received my iPazzPort remote control today and tried it with my Revue... It's freaking awesome! There are a few buttons that you have to hit the function key to get to work, but that's a pretty small gripe. I would highly recommend this remote as it runs the Google TV as well as my television and surround sound system. =]

Lastly, I was able to play around with the Power Strip app to emulate the launch bar that Google TV has, and I have to say that it works quite well. Here are a few screenshots:

Simulated Home Screen (on my phone)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d0bfghioftcj5u2/2012-10-18%2021.31.23.png

Press Home Key
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wcucm1i30ok4dzi/2012-10-18%2021.31.37.png'

Even works inside other apps!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m34902tjmtagbsu/2012-10-18%2021.32.14.png

What do you guys think so far? Am I talking to myself here? =]

October 19, 2012
10:38 am
Max Powers
SoCal
Admin
Forum Posts: 172

Whats up jesjhoward,

First off welcome to the forums!

I apologize for not replying back to your post sooner but have been very busy building the site and not having much time to test and provide support. But that will change as the site grows in members and there is more people to help out.

1) I have not had the opportunity to test the Ipazz remote but have heard great things about it. I bought this one from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Koolertr.....s=airmouse

It is o.k. at best. Its range is about 8 ft and isn't very accurate and makes gaming pretty impossible. But it does work just takes a little getting used to. Last week I bought this from best buy:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....=Keyboards

This keyboard/touchpad rocks! The range is awesome and everything is very accurate and responsive! And the best part it was only $24. This is the way to go for the mini pc's.

2) As far as the wireless 360 remote with dongle i also have not tested but am working on getting one. I do have a wired USB 360 remote that works great, plug and play.

3) I did checkout Onlive and the app looks great with alot of cool games. The USB 360 remote did work but the controls were very hard to navigate. With a little tweaking and customizing of controls I think it will work just fine. I haven't ran an emulater yet but will do soon.

4) Root..Ahh yes Root..
Haven't yet, a little scared, but I must for the sake of the forum...'

5) As far as FTP, try ES File Explorer. I find it more useful then Astro and is what I use to connect to my home network to stream HD videos

Thanks for reading hope I've helped you some
Cool

October 19, 2012
8:26 pm
jesjhoward

Thanks for the reply Max!

If the wired 360 controller works, then the wireless will probably work as well. I've plugged the one I have into my Logitech Revue and was able to navigate pretty well. This is awesome! That means that the drivers are present in the mini PC and I don't have to buy an actual Onlive controller =]

If you dig the emulator thing, I have most of the "Oid" emulators that should be able to run most of the old consoles. Also, there is an app out there called "Game Shelf" http://goo.gl/sisZr That serves as a front-end for these emulators. It will scan your rom folders and download the box art and important info on each game you have. It will also launch the games with your preferred emulator.

Another app that I would love to test is either Kainy http://goo.gl/oPPFX or Splashtop http://goo.gl/AVDcC These app will allow us to launch a game on our networked PC and play it through our mini PCs. This means we can play high-end games that we own, or even MMORPGs can be brought into the living room. I really can't wait to get this device so I can play with all of this stuff!! It's been three days since I've ordered and my device hasn't shipped yet. I'll be writing an email tonight.

Lastly, I mentioned some Google TV apps that I can extract from my Revue that I would really like to test. If that works, then I'll post what I can here for you guys to try out. Also, thanks for the ES File Explorer suggestion. Not only does it hook up to my FTP server, but also Dropbox and even Google Drive. Awesome!!

Jes

October 20, 2012
11:16 am
ITrepairPro

Forum Posts: 24

Does anyone know if Ubuntu will load from the Micro SD?

October 20, 2012
11:17 pm
ShonuffJonez

Forum Posts: 1

Another thing many can use until a stable XBMC is released is Plex for android. Works great on my ipad, and evo 4g lte. Should work fine as can transcode or use the MK808 to play it. Plex is a nice way to set up a simple media server for streaming movies music etc

October 21, 2012
5:59 pm
Max Powers
SoCal
Admin

No luck with Ubuntu yet but I am working on it
Cool

October 22, 2012
8:23 pm
jesjhoward

You're right, Plex is pretty awesome! My only issue is that it can be buggy sometimes on my Logitech Revue. Not sure if that's happening on the client or server side, but once it decides to work, it works really well. Hopefully, with some spare time tomorrow, I'll be backing up and posting some of the apps made for Google TV so that you guys can test them. Hopefully we can have some apps that are made for the television running on these things!

October 23, 2012
11:25 am
axlroy

Forum Posts: 15

My experience
I bought it for 89$ at ebay from user niceshop4u9 . Took about 10 days, but was a chinese holiday. They wrote it was worth less so didnt have to pay taxes in Norway. That was nice.

It´s glitchy sometimes, very few times actually. I have Plex instead of xbmc. That works nicely. Only problem is subtitles, they wont show. maybe someone has a tip for how to fix that?

Otherwise, netflix works great.

October 23, 2012
12:17 pm
jesjhoward

@axlroy,

I'm pretty sure you need a .SRT file for whatever movie/show you are watching. Beyond that, I'm not really sure. I'll test this out tonight and let you know how it goes.

October 24, 2012
5:35 am
tkvkp

Forum Posts: 6

After a short search,i figure out that:
MK802 III
UG802 III
ibex UG802+ elite
GV-20
MK808
MK808 with wifi,power and temperature improvements
& Doroidstick T10
ARE the same devices about the hardware(in some cases,the NAND rom is 4gb instead of 8gb)

So,may the admins,change the name of the main thread to all code names above or,we can post a main thread to explain that.

October 24, 2012
6:23 am
alx000

Forum Posts: 2

there is already a "MK808 with wifi,power and temperature improvements"? where can i find it?

October 24, 2012
7:31 am
jesjhoward

I may be wrong here, but I think the mk808 with the "improvements" is just due to the firmware upgrade that is discussed on these forums. Guys, correct me if I'm wrong.

October 24, 2012
8:09 am
tkvkp

Forum Posts: 6

@alx000 I have already order this one and i m waiting the delivery (without the air mouse keyboard).
http://www.aliexpress.com/item.....06452.html

@jesjhoward you are wrong WinkThe guys that produces the MK808,have already solved the problems(wifi,power,heat) of first MK808
They slightly change the codename to MK808 II or improved MK808 or new MK808

§ Here is a very good article about peripheral devices for skype use.
http://www.squidoo.com/mk802-s.....e161587004

§We dont need xbmc.Not at all.We can do the "dirty job" with,the great,DICE player and his incorporated samba server!

§ @Max Powers,you dont need to set up a login password on your windows to have access with es file explorer.Just click anonymous login and...voila!

October 25, 2012
12:53 am
cody27

Forum Posts: 2

Max Powers said

No luck with Ubuntu yet but I am working on it
Cool

Cool

October 25, 2012
5:56 am
zenmonkk

Forum Posts: 1

Hi all,
Im big on streaming flash media. I've gone down to basic cable, because i can find everything online. I use to use an littlle RCA streaming box... something similar to roku without all the bells and whistles. The box worked great but it didn't really make my tv smart. I could not stream from any website. just netflix hulu and a few others. Besides youtube, has anyone tried streaming shows on this? is it glitchy? The specs on this seem similar to a netbook. I can stream no prob on a netbook.

~Monkk

October 27, 2012
1:48 pm
Max Powers
SoCal
Admin

tkvkp your the man!
Thanks for your input, I added those cams to the store here.
See ya around!Cool

October 27, 2012
2:36 pm
ITrepairPro

Forum Posts: 24

2) As far as the wireless 360 remote with dongle i also have not tested but am working on getting one. I do have a wired USB 360 remote that works great, plug and play.

Is there any special configuration that needs to be made to make the XBOX 360 USB Controller work? I plug mine into a powered usb hub and the lights keep blinking, but it never recognises the controller. It is an official microsoft xbox 360 usb controller (not 3rd party)

October 28, 2012
10:15 am
jesjhoward

If you flash the Finless 1.5 rom, the xbox controllers work! Wired is good to go, but wireless needs a few extra steps. If you need any help, just let me know.

October 29, 2012
3:59 am
T68

Forum Posts: 16

jesjhoward: Please enlighten us about getting the wireless xbox controller to work. I´m a total noob here... Do I also need a dongle to get my wireless 360-controller to work?

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: 56

Currently Online:
5 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

bla0000: 45

audiobore: 35

ITrepairPro: 24

Melanie: 22

ruksack: 21

espressox: 20

SuicidalChef611: 19

motorcyclemikie: 19

Eric: 18

guardzero: 16

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 9

Members: 4685

Moderators: 2

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 21

Topics: 462

Newest Members: redtony, benyig, camle, MeLE Keith, Geekson, Jackier, jebr25, DOS76, homenet, berndbausch

Moderators: jesjhoward: 47, norcal618: 18

Administrators: Max Powers: 172