Question about the MK808 USB and APP Support | MK 808 | Android Mini Pc Forums

Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
Question about the MK808 USB and APP Support
October 28, 2012
11:45 am
guardzero

Forum Posts: 16

Hey everybody, I'm new here and just had a couple of questions. Right now I'm using the WDTV to play movies and tv shows off of a couple of portable hard drives. Works decent enough, but was curious about the MK808 usb support for local storage. Does it support a 2tb or 3tb hard drive connected to the USB on it? If so does anyone know if the MK808 supports MX Player Pro and Mizuu? Are these apps downloadable to the device through the play store or would they have to be sideloaded? Any feedback anyone can provide would be helpful. I'd really love to purchase this device if it supports 2tb/3tb HDD local storage and MX Player Pro and Mizuu works on it. This would be a perfect solution for me for use as an HTPC. Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide an answer!

October 28, 2012
4:02 pm
jesjhoward
Forum Posts: 47

I can say much for the external hard drives, but I'll give the apps you mentioned a shot and report back. They both seem to install just fine on my phone so they should have no trouble loading onto your MK808 through the market. Max may be able to chime in on the externals. I know he has a video showing that external drives do in fact work, as long as they are plugged into a powered USB hub. I can't say as to whether the size of the drives will matter or not tho.

October 28, 2012
4:32 pm
Max Powers
SoCal
Admin
Forum Posts: 172

USB external POWERED hard drives work great both locally and when connected to the network both directly plugged in or through a hub. My hub is non powered and works with almost everything. My favorite thing is having my torrent client on my desktop PC in my office download and put files straight to my external HD that is connected to my network that I access on the MK808 through ES File Manager and I can stream anything on the downstairs TV. It's great, any movie, any show, any time! Let me know if you need help.

October 28, 2012
5:13 pm
guardzero

Interesting feedback so far! So the MK 808 can run files from a locally connected USB HDD as long as the HDD is powered separately if I'm understanding correctly. The reason I was asking about size is that I've got Western Digital 2TB Portable harddrive (movies) and a Western Digital 3TB Portable harddrive (tvshows). I prefer local playback over network whenever possible. This is great news so far. If either of you guys can let me know about-

mx player/mx player pro ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mxtech.videoplayer.ad&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5teHRlY2gudmlkZW9wbGF5ZXIuYWQiXQ.. )

and

mizuu ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.miz.mizuulite&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5taXoubWl6dXVsaXRlIl0. )

I'm assuming that if the free versions work on the MK808, then the paid versions will as well. Thank you guys for your prompt feedback so far! I really appreciate it. If those apps work on the MK808 then I will probably purchase few of units for family for Christmas!

Max Powers, do you happen to know the size limit of local storage connected directly to the MK808?

October 28, 2012
8:50 pm
jesjhoward
Forum Posts: 47

I've tried both of these apps, and they really work well. Mizuu seems to be tailor made for this kind of application and MX player also performs well. Had no problems with either of these. Great suggestions!

October 28, 2012
8:58 pm
guardzero

Thanks for testing those apps jesjhoward! Yeah mizuu is perfect for this kind of thing as long as the files are named right (example - The Mentalist.S03E04.mkv) It'll scrape all the info and it's a really nice clean intuitive app. Hopefully I can find some info about whether or not it'll support being hooked up to a 3TB external hard drive through USB. I read somewhere that it definitely supported 2TB but couldn't find anything on it supporting 3TB.

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: 56

Currently Online:
3 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

bla0000: 45

audiobore: 35

ITrepairPro: 24

Melanie: 22

ruksack: 21

espressox: 20

SuicidalChef611: 19

motorcyclemikie: 19

Eric: 18

guardzero: 16

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 9

Members: 4685

Moderators: 2

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 21

Topics: 462

Newest Members: redtony, benyig, camle, MeLE Keith, Geekson, Jackier, jebr25, DOS76, homenet, berndbausch

Moderators: jesjhoward: 47, norcal618: 18

Administrators: Max Powers: 172