What USB to Ethernet Adaptor works with the mk-808? | MK 808 | Android Mini Pc Forums

Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
What USB to Ethernet Adaptor works with the mk-808?
November 4, 2012
10:36 pm
oracle

Forum Posts: 2

Hi,
Newbie here..
Wireless sucks here at home. Connection is dropping and extremely slow (I checked and my brand new NK808 is already 4.1.1 and 3.0.8+ kernel).
So I really want to use a wired connection, I have it available so.. I bought the mighty USB 2.0 Ethernet Adaptor (http://www.amazon.com/Monopric.....B003L1386S).
I pluged the USB adaptor to either USB port but I don't see where to enable the wired ethernet. Actually I had another one a bit older kicking around but still the same bad luck (nothing shows in the wireless & networks aside from wi-Fi).

Seems the mk-808 does not support USB Ethernet Adaptors. I looked at a Youtube video where this same adaptor worked beautifully with an ASUS laptop running android.

Can someone please share which adaptor worked out of the box and I'll try and find it or confirm if this is something that can be added,etc. Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks

November 4, 2012
11:38 pm
T68

Forum Posts: 16

Hey guys!

So I´m kind of confused here regarding USB hubs and the MK808. Should I get a non-powered or powered? Seems to be different opinions about this. Thank´s for any enlightening regarding this!

November 5, 2012
9:13 am
jesjhoward
Forum Posts: 47

If you have the cash, a powered USB hub should be the way to go. It will function without power if the devices plugged into it don't need it. If, however, you would like to use something like an external HDD (which would probably need a bit more juice to run) using the power cable with the USB hub will make it run just fine. Hope this shed a little light =]

November 5, 2012
10:23 am
thedayton56

Forum Posts: 5

The following link from Amazon indicates wired usb Ethernet will run on an MK802. The post includes a link to the specific product used to accomplish it.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R....._rtr_alt_1

Please let us know if the product works on the MK808 if you decide to try it out.

November 5, 2012
12:02 pm
primeaniac

I think most of the USB-RJ45 works (of course not tested) but be aware of the junk out there.
The one in the link above looks exactly like the two I bought from China and they will end up in the garbage can... I paid only 4 bucks/each for them so these could be crap. Tried them on my Mac as well but got the same speed as with the MK808.
The speed was between 5-10Mb/s (up/down) which is not enough for streaming HD.
Have a firend that also bought two and one did not function so the quality of these white-apple stylish seems to be very poor...

Tried a friends WII dongle (USB-RJ45) and got a decent speed (around 27Mb/s receive and 40Mb/s send).
Also tried Konig (CMP-NWUSB20) and got the same speed, I paid 27 bucks for it here in Sweden and I think I will keep it since streaming HD movies are stable now.

I have a powered USB hub and 2A Ipad charger, my MK808 runs on the original firmware (1.4, not fineless), played the movie with MX player.

My WIFI i horrible and very unstable tried with different firmwares and even opened it with up but nothing seems to help, in the set up I can see the linkspeed seems to be 65Mb but as soon as I start to stream movies etc. it drops the speed.
Hopefully our friend Mr. Powers can get a new firmware from the manufacturer where the WIFI is fixed :) .

November 5, 2012
12:16 pm
oracle

I don't mind buying any. I just want to make sure I buy the right one.. Being here in Canada I can buy a $5 buck USB adaptor in the US and pay $30 in shipping + brokerage charges.. :(

I'm thinking that the MK808 is actually not loaded with that module (Kernel not compiled with that option) or something similar. I mean I look at the configuration options and they look exactly for a phone like download/update apps only when wi-fi is available to save on data rates. huh?? This is for phones!

Here's the alegedly good product that could work on our MK808:
http://www.amazon.com/BobjGear.....roduct_top

So I would like to wait a bit longer and just get the confirmation from anyone that MK808 with 4.1 supports 'x' USB to ethernet converter.

Thanks

November 5, 2012
12:54 pm
primeaniac

The USB-ethernet you Oracle have a link to will most likely work on your MK808, as I wrote in my last post I have an equal which the MK808 found without a problem same with the WII USB to ethernet and the Konig.
So the MK808's kernel has indeed support for USB gears, it must be a general driver that the kernel is compiled with.

****Update*****
This is the USB to ethernet adaptor I have that works just fine.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Konig-.....038;sr=8-1

Transferring a 200MB file (within LAN) from Win XP to MK808 gives me a speed of 25Mb/s (around 3MB/S) which seems to be enough to stream HD quality movies.
Also Imax movies with a very high bit-rate works just fine.

November 8, 2012
10:51 am
msmone

Forum Posts: 1

For my mk808 with rom finless 1.5a rooted:

Not working:
USB to ethernet adapter Startech USB21065 (ethernet button switches off after a few seconds)

Working:
USB to ethernet adapter Plugable USB 2.0 to 10/100 Fast Ethernet LAN Network RJ45 Adapter (ASIX AX88772 chipset)
Trust USB Hub Hu-5870v external powered, 7 port

I had much help from these forums and ofcourse the videos from Max Powers. So i hope i can help others a little bit with this information.

Thanks!!

November 8, 2012
1:22 pm
Max Powers
SoCal
Admin
Forum Posts: 172

Thanks for the support guys!
I added some usb to ethernet adapters to the amazon store in the menu above. Haven't personally tested them but they claim to work.

December 11, 2012
3:47 pm
taichibabbo

Forum Posts: 6

To Oracle,

I use a Gigabyte USB to Ethernet adapter that I purchased from either NewEgg or TigerDirect, I don't remember which now, it's been awhile.

The brand is called "SABRENT" USB 2.0 GIGABIT LAN adapter. I use the small Mini USB to USB cable to attach the Ethernet adapter to the port labeled #7
"Mini USB for charging" and then go into settings and turn off my "wireless" and turn on "Eithernet". and that it. This adapter cost about $20-25 as I remember and worked straight away.

December 11, 2012
4:52 pm
taichibabbo

Forum Posts: 6

To Oracle,

I did find the Ethernet adapter that I bought from TigerDirect, This is the link below

http://www.tigerdirect.com/app.....8;csid=_61 it's gone up a bit to $30.

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: 56

Currently Online:
4 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

bla0000: 45

audiobore: 35

ITrepairPro: 24

Melanie: 22

ruksack: 21

espressox: 20

SuicidalChef611: 19

motorcyclemikie: 19

Eric: 18

guardzero: 16

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 9

Members: 4685

Moderators: 2

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 21

Topics: 462

Newest Members: redtony, benyig, camle, MeLE Keith, Geekson, Jackier, jebr25, DOS76, homenet, berndbausch

Moderators: jesjhoward: 47, norcal618: 18

Administrators: Max Powers: 172