SS808? | Purchases | Android Mini Pc Forums

Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
SS808?
November 7, 2012
1:53 pm
parrymedliac

Forum Posts: 1

Hi everyone

ive just ordered the smartsain ss808 from amazon in the uk, im presuming this is the same as the mk808, just a european name?? any ideas?

November 8, 2012
12:48 pm
Max Powers
SoCal
Admin
Forum Posts: 172

Welcome to the forum parrymedliac!

I believe that is the SainSmart device that is identical to the MK808. Hopefully you get a good, working device. I encourage everybody to buy their devices through this forum to ensure safety and quality. Good luck and we will be looking forward to your review!

November 23, 2012
2:00 pm
maggard

I purchased the SS808 from Amazon. I paid the a premium for it, relying on Amazon's customer service and the (then) good reviews.

I sent it back the day after receiving it & gave it a 1-star review.

First off the SS808 *IS* a MK808. Same packaging, same instruction booklet, same firmware, nothing different but the silkscreening on the stick itself.

Unfortunately the stick lasted two minutes before failing. As in dead. Not good.

Per Amazon Customer Service I sent it back and my money was refunded (why I _heart_ Amazon Customer Service.)

Then got a really obnoxious email from SS "Customer Service" assuring me they'd carefully read my bad review, what could they do better, etc. This was obviously bullshit as the obvious answer was 'last more then 2 minutes'. What offended me was it was so blatantly a form letter and SS claiming it wasn't.

Since then there are more reviews on Amazon with complaints about SS, so for the extra cost & their utter uselessness I see no reason to pay extra, or even then-same-as, from SS. Just buy an MK808 from anyone and skip the lousy SS BS.

November 24, 2012
2:03 am
Max Powers
SoCal
Admin
Forum Posts: 172

Welcome to the Forums maggard!
Sorry for your bad luck with that company but you have to realize that these devices are getting very popular very quickly and many Chinese companies are selling bad products. Buy from the forums and we guarantee you will receive a quality product, if not we refund your money immediately and ship you a new one.

**The Forums do not make money off selling MiniPc's, we just offer a discounted price on a proven/tested product

Let us know if you need any help, my Skype/Gtalk is in my profile

January 6, 2013
8:32 pm
enjay

Purchased RC12+SS808 direct from SainSmart website 12/30/12 ($86) and received 1/5/12. (paid for Express Option) - wanted some sort of Guarantees and they have 30 day money back guarantee, 3 month replacement w/o charge or refund on faulty equipment, 3-12 month exchange.
Sainsmart SS808 Android 4.1 Mini PC TV Box + RC12 Wireless Mini 2.4GHz Air Mouse Keyboard With Touch Pad
So you know, RC12 is not a "fly mouse" (no gyroscope) and mine has quirky keyboard/touch pad. Get extra letters when typing and Touch Pad can give extra or unwanted "clicks of the mouse". (will be contacting them about that) - and the kids don't like their angry birds doing face plants from the sling shot - but overall a convenient feature (touch pad) - just not sure the RC12 is the right device yet.
Advertised as 8GB, but 1.48GB Internal Storage & 4.77GB "Nand Flash" (not sure where the other memory is at yet and will be contacting them about that)
SainSmart download for latest firmware is Release 03 / 300j1. Appears to be already on device (MK808_300j1_10-11-2012).
So far no issues found (with SS808), strong Wi-Fi Signal (but router is in basement just under the TV), using external power supply that came with unit.
Hooked To: Samsung Plasma PN51D430A3DXZA.
Antutu CPU Master identifies it as MK808 with Android v4.1.1 and has out of the box settings of Min:252, Max:1608 with interactive scaling.
Antutu Benchmark v3.0.3 scores: Total Score=9249, CPU=3397, GPU=3597, RAM=1586, I/O=669 (not sure how good all that is)
Antutu 3DRating Benchmark v1.2.4 scores: 3D Score[1280x672]=2442, Off-Screen[1024x2048]=2093, ARM Mali-400MP
Not sure if there is any reason to try to put any other firmware on it. (Max Powers - any thoughts on that? If Finless 1.4 or 1.5 is a bust, do you think your instructions will work to put back SainSmart's firmware?) "http://www.sainsmart.com/sainsmart-ss808-android-4-1-mini-pc-tv-box-rc12-wireless-mini-2-4ghz-air-mouse-keyboard-with-touch-pad.html" <- link to their firmware and update manual - at bottom of this page.
1/8/13 update - I was mistaken - SainSmart substituted MK808 instead of SS808 - OK with that since that is what I really was wanting to purchase anyway. please note - straight from SainSmart - exactly the same, "Their only difference is the logo".
2/10/13 update - one month later and no reply from sainsmart in regards to unwanted double and triple affects key presses from what appears to be a cheap "air mouse" and sensitive touch pad. Caution when purchasing from them and the R12 - so much for their guarantee!

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: 56

Currently Online:
3 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

bla0000: 45

audiobore: 35

ITrepairPro: 24

Melanie: 22

ruksack: 21

espressox: 20

SuicidalChef611: 19

motorcyclemikie: 19

Eric: 18

guardzero: 16

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 9

Members: 4685

Moderators: 2

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 21

Topics: 462

Newest Members: redtony, benyig, camle, MeLE Keith, Geekson, Jackier, jebr25, DOS76, homenet, berndbausch

Moderators: jesjhoward: 47, norcal618: 18

Administrators: Max Powers: 172